Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible?
- How do I enroll?
- Will students be charged for this program?
- Do I get an ID card?
- Is there a limit to how long I can be covered?
- Are spouses and dependents covered?
- Will I be covered for personal travel before, during or after my UNH-related activity?
- Should I cancel my domestic health insurance if I am covered by the UNH international plan?
- Whom do I contact if I need help when I’m overseas?
- Whom do I contact if I have pre-trip medical or security questions?
- What are some of International SOS services?
- Are all International SOS services covered by the UNH international insurance program?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions about the insurance benefits?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions about a specific claim or a claims payment?
- What is covered under the UNH International Travel Services and Insurance Program?
- Are there any exclusions?
- How are prescription drugs covered?
- What if I have a pre-existing condition, am I covered?
- Does this plan have a deductible?
- What if the hospital abroad requires an advance payment in order to admit me?
- If International SOS pays for my medical bills, how is International SOS reimbursed?
- If I receive a bill for services I received, what should I do?
ENROLLMENT / ELIGIBILITY
体育365The Insured must be engaged in UNH-related activities outside the United States.* These activities are defined as:
- Activity supervised, led, arranged, or sponsored by an UNH department or faculty or staff member
- Activity supervised, led, arranged, or sponsored by a University office, organization (band, athletic team, etc.) or by a University recognized student organization
- Research sponsored or supported by a University research office unit or committee
- Presentation at a conference about University programs, activities, or research
- Work that falls within the scope of an employee’s official duties or association with the University
- The Activity has defined Start/End dates
- Activity must be recorded as a complete trip record on the UNH Travel Registry
The Insured must be a UNH student, faculty, scholar, staff or other persons officiating on the UNH-related activity with a current passport or student visa, who are temporarily residing outside their Home Country or regular residence.
The Insured does not need to be covered by a USNH Health Benefit Plan in order to be eligible for this international plan.
* Outside the U.S. is defined as any location outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
How do I enroll?
Eligible UNH persons are automatically included under the UNH coverage once a complete trip record has been recorded on the UNH Travel Registry. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact the UNH Global Education Center at 603-862-2398 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
体育365All undergraduate students traveling abroad on University-related activities will be charged an International Travel Insurance Fee:
体育365Less than 2 weeks: $35
体育3652-10 weeks: $70
体育365Graduate students will be charged this fee for UNH coursework abroad or study abroad programs, but not for research activities.
体育365If a student withdraws from a study abroad program, this fee will not be refunded once the student has departed from the United States.
Do I get an ID card?
You can download and print an International SOS membership card from the . You can also get a membership card from the UNH Global Education Center by calling 603-862-2398 or emailing email@example.com. The card includes the 24 hour International SOS Alarm Center phone number. You will not receive a separate insurance ID card. The insurance companies will confirm eligibility with the University of New Hampshire.
Yes. No Insured person may have a policy period longer than 12 consecutive months.
体育365No. If you are traveling with a spouse or dependents, you are strongly encouraged to purchase coverage so that you and your family can access the same travel assistance services. This optional additional coverage can be purchased online, at a discount, from International SOS’s consumer products. View the for more information.
UNH travelers are covered only while traveling for UNH-related activities. Coverage is not extended to leisure or vacation travel that you may arrange to coincide with your UNH-related activity. You may purchase coverage for your extended personal travel online directly from International SOS's consumer products at a discount. View the for more information.
Insurance coverage includes up to 7 days of personal deviation coverage. Personal deviation is defined as travel prior to or after the school-sponsored trip. Any personal deviation travel in excess of the 7 days is not covered and requires you to purchase your own personal travel insurance should you wish to be covered.
Should I cancel my domestic health insurance if I am covered by the UNH international plan?
体育365 No. UNH travelers are covered only for travel outside the country. Therefore, UNH recommends that all travelers maintain their domestic coverage to insure continuation of coverage and care before departure and upon your return to the U.S.
EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
If you have an emergency please call collect the 24-hour International SOS Alarm Center: 1-215-942-8478.
The International SOS online portal for UNH travelers provides extensive travel, medical and security information for every country around the world. It also contains UNH emergency contacts and detailed membership benefits.
Please go to for more information. You will need to login to the and enter your UNH International SOS membership number: 11BCAS000009.
If you have a pre-trip medical or security related question or emergency while overseas, please call collect to the 24-hour International SOS Alarm Center in Philadelphia: 1-215-942-8478.
The Alarm Center is staffed by doctors, logistics coordinators, and security experts. The International SOS alarm center can provide medical advice, assistance in your location, or arrange for an evacuation.
What are some of International SOS services?
Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coordination; Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation coordination; Payment of overseas Medical Bills; Coordination of all benefits with the Plan Administrator; Full coordination with the International SOS credentialed medical provider network worldwide; Transportation and accommodation to join a hospitalized member.
Are all International SOS services covered by the UNH international insurance program?
No. Only services listed as benefits in the Cigna Medical Policy and Lloyd's Travel Policy are covered. If a UNH traveler requests services that are not insured, International SOS will require payment up front. Some examples include, but are not limited to, translations and interpreters and emergency cash advances.
Whom do I contact if I have questions about the insurance benefits?
University Health Plans
15 Pacella Park Drive
Randolph, MA 02368
Whom do I contact if I have questions about a specific claim or a claims payment?
University Health Plans
15 Pacella Park Drive
Randolph, MA 02368
MEDICAL INSURANCE PLAN BENEFITS
The plan covers medical expenses, including hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, emergency outpatient care, labs and x-rays, inpatient and outpatient mental health, physician office visits and prescription drugs. Payment will be made for covered medical expenses up to the maximum benefit of $500,000. See Cigna Medical Policy and Lloyd's Travel Policy体育365 for a full list of benefits and exclusions.
体育365The Insured does not need to be covered by a USNH Health Benefit Plan in order to be eligible for this international plan.
Yes. There are territory restrictions, so eligible UNH travelers are not covered in: United States (defined as the 50 United States and the District of Columbia) and Cuba, unless the individual has received a valid license for travel to Cuba or a student is traveling on a program with a valid license. There are additional exclusions, so please read the Cigna Policy and Lloyd's Evidence of Benefits to review the full list of excluded activities.
Prescription drugs are covered at 100% of the actual charge.
What if I have a pre-existing condition, am I covered?
体育365 Yes, there is no exclusion. (A pre-existing condition is one for which you sought medical advice, were diagnosed, received care or treatment, or were recommended care or treatment.)
Does this plan have a deductible?
体育365 No. (Deductible means the dollar amount of Covered Expenses that must be incurred as an out-of-pocket expense by each Insured per Injury or Sickness before payment is made by the claims company.)
What if the hospital abroad requires an advance payment in order to admit me?
For most hospitals, International SOS can advance payment if needed to secure your admission because of sickness or accident. On occassion, there may be a hospital that will not accept advance payment from a third party. In these incidences, International SOS can refer you to a hospital that will accept advance payments. Call collect the 24-hour International SOS Alarm Center: 1-215-942-8478.
If International SOS pays for my medical bills, how is International SOS reimbursed?
体育365 International SOS should be called in all emergency situations. If International SOS fronts money for medical treatment, the claim will be automatically sent to the insurance company and International SOS will get reimbursed directly from the insurance company. The UNH traveler does not need to submit any paperwork.
体育365Submit a claim form. Below are the links to the claim forms. Instructions are included on the forms.
- Cigna Medical Claim Form — Complete the paper form and submit to Cigna. Online claims instructions are on last page of this form.
- Lloyd's Lost Baggage Claim Form — Complete the paper form and submit to Lloyd's.
- Lloyd's Trip Interruption Claim Form — Complete the paper form and submit to Lloyd's.
- Lloyd's Visit by Family Member Claim Form — Complete the paper form and submit to Lloyd's.
体育365Once received by the company, your claim will be processed and paid according to the terms of the insurance policy. Please note that you are responsible for the cost of any services not covered by the travel insurance plan.
If you have questions about a specific claim or a claims payment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.